Newborn Preparation Classes
Oh yeah, there’s a baby after all this!
Come learn the special needs of a newborn to help you not go as crazy in those first six weeks of life. We’ll touch on the most essential topics for newborn care increasing the chances your baby will love you. Just kidding! Your baby will love you no matter what, but this will help you wander through the fog with some tools in your belt. Come have fun with us!
Note: This class is available for parents planning a birth in any setting.
Note 2: This class is designed to follow the Homebirth Preparation Class.
- When: Saturdays or Sundays
- Time: 9:00 am- 12:00 pm
- Where: Home Office, Oakland – off High Street
- Series class count: 1 class
- Spring Season
- Summer Season
- Fall Season
- Winter Season
- Content for the Class
The Class is a Balance of:
- Basic needs of newborns – physical and emotional – and how parents can meet those needs
- Soothing newborns
- Dealing with colic
- Diapering and clothing
- Holding and handling baby in loving, gentle ways
- Introduction to various carrier methods
- Basic developmental expectations of newborn for first six weeks
- Note: We will not cover breastfeeding, nursing, or anything feeding NOR Physiological unfolding of the newborn- these are offered in the Homebirth Preparation class.
- Process for Registering for a NB Class
- Fee for NB Class
- Requirements for Class
- Individual Class Cancellations
- Cancellation Policy
- Save the Date
- Classroom Details
Process for Registering for a NB Class
If you would like to reserve a space in the Newborn Prep Class facilitated by Awakenings, please select the button to Register, fill out the Class Registration form, and send the non-refundable deposit made out the “Awakenings Birth Services” to the office.
IMPORTANT: Registration is open until 2 weeks before the start date.
You are welcome to pay the class fee in full at the time of registration, however the remaining fee is due in full by 2 weeks before the start of the class to maintain a spot in the class. Please pay before this time. At this time, if there is a waiting list, interested families will be given an opportunity to complete registration.
Fee for Class
The standard fee for the class is $75 for mom and a class partner.
Requirements for Class
- Please Note: This class is designed to follow the Homebirth Preparation class series- please consider registering for that class.
Individual Class Cancellations
Esther is on-call 24 hours a day to attend births and care for clients. In the event she need to be with a family, she will e-mail or text you as soon as she knows there will be a conflict. Please check your e-mail before coming to class, and make sure you and/or your partner’s (if applicable) phone numbers are on the registration form and are the best numbers to reach you at under this circumstance.
1. Cancellations made before two weeks of the start date will receive the fee back in full minus the $40 non-refundable deposit. If the baby has been born before the start of class, you will receive the fee back in full minus the non-refundable deposit.
2. IMPORTANT: Registration for the class closes two weeks before the start of the class. If at this time, there are not a minimum of 4 registered participants, the class may be cancelled and you will be notified. You will receive your fee back in full.
3. For no other reasons will funds be returned.
Save the Date
If a class is cancelled due to birth, a request for your preferences about a make-up class will be sent to you. The make-up class will be the date that allows for the most number of attendees.
Classes are located at Esther’s home off High Street in Oakland:
4547 San Carlos Ave, Oakland, CA 94601.
Doors will open at 8:45 am. Please allow ample time to find parking and get settled so that we can start on time. Parking can be tricky at times, you may need to park around the corner.
It is encouraged for you to eat dinner before class, but if you haven’t eaten before, please make sure you bring dinner and enough food and beverages to get through class. Beverage and a few snacks will be provided.
Please bring a pen and paper to take notes.
There is an assortment of seating options, including a couch, a rocker, regular dining chairs, exercise balls, blankets and bolsters for sitting on the floor. If you have special seating needs, please let us know and/or bring what you need to sit on.
~Testimonials for Classes~
Joey and I are chipping away at things we would like to have done before baby gets here and also reviewing the class hand outs you gave us and doing meditations. Reviewing the information seems really helpful. We know we will never be fully prepared, but it gives us lots to talk and think about and provides great guidelines. I especially appreciate the affirmations and preparation lists. Thank you for putting together such a thoughtful class! I wish I could watch those birth videos everyday until it is my turn to experience birth! I still think about the twin birth! What an amazing women!!! –Anna
We really, really enjoyed your class. It was always a highlight of our week. We left every Thursday night feeling very empowered, energized and that much more ready to meet our baby with open arms and open hearts. Thank you so much for that. –Kelly
Thank you, Esther, for a great class. We had a great time and learned a lot. We thought of you when you were playing the woman in labor needing assistance and pillows. That played out for us to a 'T'. –Dennis
We couldn’t believe how many of the tools you exposed us to we ended up using! Things we never would have considered, made a big difference and helped Erin cope so well. Thank you for the insights! –Matt