There’s a lot of misleading, fear-based information out there, so it’s important to NOT go to any old website or book. They are not all the same!
Go to trusted sources for your information.
Here’s some places to check out.
When you have questions, it’s always great to ask your care provider and not find random information on the inter-webs.
It’s HIGHLY recommended to discontinue use of the book, “What to Expect When You’re Expecting.” It’s fear-inducing and doesn’t serve our clients. There are many other books that can serve as a reference book, such as The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm or Dr Sears.
- Prenatal Preparation for Labor and Birth
Meditation and HypnoBirthing
Childbirth Reading Recommendations (just a few)
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May
- Birthing From Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitz
- The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm
- Hormones During Labor and Birth in an Undisturbed Birth (article) by Sarah Buckley
Women Empowerment Reading Recommendations (just a few)
- Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Women’s Sexual Passages by Elizabeth Davis
Safety of Homebirth
- Planned Cesarean No Safer Than Vaginal Delivery for Twins
- New research disputing automatic c-section for twins mamas. (Look for the resource at the end of the video for more details.)
Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- VBAC Advocacy
- Revolutionary, reclaiming of uninterrupted birth as our fundamental right! Here’s where the reclaiming in the US re-started
Birth Support Ideas!
- Midwifery Today – AMAZING Birth, Pregnancy, and Parenting Resource – full of articles on every topic. Here are some featured movement-making authors to check out:
- Sarah Buckley
- Henci Goer
- Michel Odent
- Marion Toepke McLean
- Elizabeth Davis
- Ina May Gaskin
- Penny Simpkin
- Marsden Wagner
- Kelly Mom – Parenting, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Resource Center
- Ronnie Falcao Archives – Parenting, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding, and Midwives Resources
- Mothering.com – Parenting, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Resource Center
- Squat, The Birth Journal
- The Complete Mother, A Magazine of Pregnancy, Birth and Breastfeeding
- WombEcology, the Work of Dr. Michel Odent
- BirthWorks, Primal Health Research
- Videos/Images Prenatal Preparation for Labor and Birth
- Visualizing Birth (a collection of images)
- The Mandala Journey (Birth art images by Amy Swagman)
- Videos of HomeBirths
- Assortment of Water Birth Videos and Slideshows (Code Name Mama)
- Images Around Pregnancy, Labor and Birth (collected by Patricia Palden)
- Commercial of Homebirth to sell a mattress! (Something we haven’t seen in the US, yet!)
- New Moon Vision (Sacred Artwork by Mara Friedman)
- Well Woman
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome (Radio) – Explanation of the link between our gut health/diet and our emotional and physical well being; and solutions to address these issues!
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome Resources – How depression, anxiety, yeast infections and many other issues are related to the microflora in your gut. This resource takes you through how to restore your gut microflora from the damaging effect of things like antibiotics, birth control pills, vaccines and the modern American diet.
- Weston A Price – Eating for Nourishment – and why it works!
- Three Stone Hearth – Food service located in Berkeley based on Weston Price philosophy
- Good Eggs – Delivers fresh local groceries to your home
- Bee and Biscuit – local chef – organic homemade meals
- Kitchen Doula – local chef – homemade meals
- Mama Tong – local, homemade postpartum soups. Can order through Good Eggs too.
- Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon – This Weston A Price influenced cookbook is more than just a cookbook. Check it out!
- Baby Bath Video – While there is considerable reason to postpone the first bath until breastfeeding is well established, here is a beautiful video showing us all how to handle and care for a baby with proper touch.
- Eliminations Communication – Learning to understand your baby’s cues and communications for their elimination needs – decreasing or eliminating the need for diapers and potty training!
Don’t forget about this important part!!
- Parenting by Connection – Hand in Hand Parenting
- From Birth to Breast (Radio)
- Attachment Parenting
- Holistic Parenting
Some Books Offered in the Awakenings Library:
- Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic by Kurcinka, Mary Sheedy
- Becoming the Parent You Want to Be: A Sourcebook of Strategies for the First Five Years by Laura Davis, Janis Keyser
- Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen
- Parenting From the Inside Out by Daniel Siegel MD, Mary Hartzell
- The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Recipes That Will Help Your Baby Learn to Eat Solid Foods – and That the Whole Family Will Enjoy by Tracey Murkett, Gill Rapley (this book also contains the philosophy of Baby-Led Feeding)
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting by Laura Markham
- How to Raise a Family on Less Than Two Incomes: The Complete Guide to Managing Your Money Better So You Can Spend More Time with Your Kids by Denise Topolnicki
- Plus more!
Homebirth and Midwives
There’s no guarantee unless we keep it alive – as there are steady attempts to eliminate home birth and midwives. We need your support to keep this vital resource accessible to women and families. Consider joining these groups that fight for women’s rights to birth:
Awakenings has a huge Library of books of an assortment of topics related to childbirth, health and wellbeing, parenting, and more! All clients are welcome to check things out. Just ask!
Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May is a highly recommended book for families looking for an alternative approach to birth (aka reclaiming of traditional birth).
When you’re ready, check out:
- Women Who Run with the Wolves – Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Women’s Sexual Passages – Elizabeth Davis